3 things to remember in an emergency

It is never pleasant to think about anything going wrong, but when you move to a new country it is imperative that you know who to call when you need help.

Who to call

In addition to the European emergency number 112, the following numbers are in use in Belgium: for a medical emergency and the fire brigade, call 100; for the police, call 101.


In a medical emergency an ambulance will take you to the nearest A and E centre. The Belgian compulsory health insurance scheme reimburses 50% of the cost of emergency health service transport.

Documents you might need

Wherever you go, you should always carry some form of ID with you, whether it be a residence card or driving licence. If you are still waiting for your healthcare insurance to come though and you are an EU citizen, then make sure you have your European Health Insurance Card with you at all times, which will provide cover for you if needed, in line with your home country.

If you are not an EU national, then it is advisable to contact your embassies for specific instructions, before arriving in Belgium.

(Photocredits: Picography)



Categories:   Health


Sorry, comments are closed for this item.

“This website uses files (such as cookies) and other technologies. By continuing to browse you agree to its use." More information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.