Contesting your Belgian income tax bill

How and where you do that is explained on page 2 of your tax bill. You have to send a letter to the regional directorate within six months after you receive the tax bill.

That means the letter must arrive with the tax authorities within six months plus three working days from the date the assessment was sent out. That is the date on the tax bill.

The tax authorities say they accept a contest by fax or by email, but for the moment, I suggest you stick to pen and paper, scan it and send it by email ánd by ordinary mail. Preferably send the letter by registered mail so that you can prove the date. If you have waited until the last day, you can always bring it to the tax office and ask for a stamp confirming the date of receipt on a copy of the letter. Don’t forget that, for the taxman, close of business is 16.00. If you find the door closed, you can try and send it by fax; you never know, the taxman may accept it. 

Do I need an accountant or lawyer?

No, you can do it yourself. Make sure that you have the correct address and that you mention all the relevant references on the top of the letter, just under your address (your N.N. or national number and the N. Rép for numéro
de repertoire). Why not just attach a copy of the tax bill?

Explain in detail why you don’t agree. Maybe you forgot to mention a figure in the tax return, or the taxman himself overlooked a figure. Or all your expenses really are business expenses and not private entertainment. Or the taxman got it wrong, and a particular type of income is indeed not taxable.

The most common mistake is that the taxman forgets to give an exemption for overseas income. It is also advisable to ask for a meeting with the tax director. That may help you get your point across. Finally, don’t forget to sign the letter with your spouse or partner if it also their tax bill.

And if I leave it too long?

Six months seems like a long time, but they pass quickly. If you are too late, your request will be rejected, except in some cases.

Sometimes the mistake is so obvious that it would be inequitable if the taxman didn’t amend the tax bill. The tax authorities are allowed to reopen the tax file up to three years later if there are typos, miscalculations or glaring mistakes. Another reason for the taxman to reopen the file is when you have paid tax twice; in particular, if you paid tax in Belgium as well as in another country.


Categories:   Administration


Sorry, comments are closed for this item.

“This website uses files (such as cookies) and other technologies. By continuing to browse you agree to its use." More information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.